Welcome to Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), Ministry of Textiles
The office of Development Commissioner (Handicrafts) is the nodal agency in the Govt. of India for craft and artisan based activities. The office is headed by the Development Commissioner (Handicrafts). It administers various schemes and functions to promote the development and export of handicrafts, and supplements the efforts of State Governments by implementing various developmental schemes.
- Helping hand for handicrafts sector.
- Spearheads the country’s efforts to promote the handicraft sector.
- Support the State Govts. with the developmental schemes through its six regional offices at Mumbai, Kolkata, Lucknow, Chennai, Guwahati and New Delhi.
- Assist in the development, marketing and exports of handicrafts and promotion of craft forms & skills.
- The assistance in the form of technical and financial support including schematic interventions.
“To create a globally competitive Handicrafts Sector and provide sustainable livelihood opportunities to the artisans through innovative products, designs, improvement in product quality, introduction of modern technology and preserving traditions.”
Direct Benefit Transfers:
“It aims at timely transfer of benefit to the citizen by bringing efficiency, effectiveness, transparency and accountability in the Government system. Through the DBT Government intend to achieve electronic transfer of benefits, reduce delays in payments and most importantly, accurate targeting of beneficiaries, thereby curbing leakages and duplication.”